Change of Ownership in Mexico as Foreign

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Fri, 01/27/2017 - 16:56

Change of Ownership in Mexico as Foreign

We have just bought a camper van in Mexico. We've got Spanish Nationality and now, we can't make the change of ownership. We have tried everything and we have tried it in several states in Mexico. I wonder how people do change the ownership in other countries. How do you buy a car in another country? What can I do? Do I need to own the van in order to cross borders in LatinAmerica? 


Thanks in advance  



Sun, 03/19/2017 - 12:41

Change of Ownership in Mexico

I am not really understanding your post? Do you mean you are a permanent resident with a visa? If you are then you would have brought your vehicle with you on your temp visa? Now you want to make it perm? My understanding is that if you brought your car from US/CDA you can "nationalize" it IF it was made in North America or Mexico. Japan, no go. Look on your VIN and if it has a J you are out of luck.

From what others have said the vehicle must be over 8 years of age and costs about $3,500US. Otherwise, you take out of the country.

If you have become a Mexican citizen then probably the same.

Go on some expat sites on FB and ask them...try to be a little more clear with your question tho. Good luck.


Sun, 03/19/2017 - 16:25

Perhaps some more information

Perhaps some more information will get you some answers.


You are Spanish in Mexico on a 180 day tourist entry (FMM)


What is the country of registration of the vehicle.

What is the nationality of the previous owner.

Where is the previous owner now.

Did you get any paperwork when you bought the vehicle.  What papers have you got.