Chile road trip from Santiago to Arica in May-June 2015 - anyone want to join us?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Fri, 03/20/2015 - 00:37

Chile road trip from Santiago to Arica in May-June 2015 - anyone want to join us?

Hi all

We are an Australian couple, mid-20s, friendly and easy going travellers. We arrive in Santiago on May 4 and will be in South America for 3 months.

Our plan is to buy a ready-to-go camper 4x4 vehicle in Santiago from a fellow traveller and then road trip up to Arica (maybe venture into Peru for a few weeks). We are looking to get surf, hiking and general good adventures, "buena onda" (good vibes) so to speak..

We plan to stop by La Serena, Antofagasta, San Pedro de Atacama, Iquique and Arica. Plus all the good camp spots and beaches inbetween!

A couple of friends of ours from Australia are coming over from Peru to meet us in Antofagasta/San Pedro, but we are open to either:

a. Someone joining us in convoy with another vehicle to travel together for part/all of the trip

or

b. Someone riding with us in our car for part/all of the journey to share the fuel cost and just for general fun and adventure (you will need to bring your own tent and camping gear as we'll have the vehicle as a camper inside at night)

We are looking to buy a 5 seater 4x4 wagon or campervan, so there should be plenty of space for a few extra people to ride with us at least from Santiago to Antofagasta until we have to pick up our friends from Australia there.

We speak English and a tiny amount of German and Spanish.. we are open to any fellow travellers of similar age who can speak fluent English. Extra bonus points if you are good with Spanish as this will really make the trip easier for everyone if we can ask for advice/directions from locals! :)

if you are interested, please post a reply here or send me an email:  [email protected] 

Cheers

Karl

Fri, 04/03/2015 - 15:50

Bump. Anyone keen? We're

Bump. Anyone keen? We're still arranging a vehicle, but all going to plan it will happen! :)

Fri, 04/17/2015 - 17:24

bump. spending afew days down

bump. spending afew days down near Pichilemu early May, and then heading north towards La Serena, Antofa, Iquique, Arica and onwards to Peru if anyone is keen to join us.

Fri, 05/08/2015 - 19:00

We leave Santiago in a week.

We leave Santiago in a week. First to pichilemu, then north. hola if you want to join. we have 2 spare seats.

Sun, 05/07/2017 - 04:11

Santiago to Arica

I have taken the trip from Santiago to Arica 2 times and to Iquique 3 times. Stay on or as close to the coast as much as you can and you will see some of the most beautiful places in the world! For the most part if you are on Ruta 5 or paying a toll you are on the wrong road. Fule gets more expensive going north. Make sure you have plenty of fuel. The best places to get fuel are as you leave Co Co, Chaneral, and many of the coastal towns have cheaper fuel than those on the main highways like Ruta 5. Take lots of pictures. You should meet many local divers and surfers. The diving everywhere is fantastic. Arica was okay to visit, but, I would not want to live there, it is too humid. Between Vina del Mar and Iquique is fantastic. I wish I had someone to take that trip with me, if I did I would take months so I could hit every beautiful spot again.