New process to get RUT in Chile?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Tue, 04/07/2015 - 16:52

New process to get RUT in Chile?

Hi all

A fellow member recently told me that as of this year the process to aquire a RUT has become more complicated and expensive than it was. 

"now you have to find a local that is willing to bail for you- both of you need to do that at a notary and hand in notarized passport copies too."

Has anyone here been through the RUT application process in recent months? Can you shed any light on this process and if it has become more complicated and expensive it has become in reality? 

We arrive in early May and planned to get a RUT first day and buy a car in Santiago, rather than rely on the bus system. It's still possible to get a RUT, but it's just more headaches, especially for foriegners.

Tue, 04/07/2015 - 18:57

I got it in november

I got one in november and it wasn't a big deal, they wanted a letter from the seller saying they were selling me a vehicle. It took a couple trips back ot the office to get things but i did it all in a day. It might have changed since November. 

Sun, 04/12/2015 - 11:12

law changed

Last month the law changed for a RUT-number for tourists. It is a bit more difficult then before, but still doable. The point is that you need a person that is a resident of Chile. First you go to the SII for a form to receive a RUT-number.  Then you need to go to the notario with that person from Chile. He needs to give his RUTnumber, a copy of his passport and he has to sign the document. You pay around 3000pesos. And after that you will go back to the SII with the documents from the notario and your own papers. And then you will get the RUT number. 

Sun, 04/12/2015 - 21:24 (Reply to #3)

OK, that does make it quite a

OK, that does make it quite a bit more difficult, especially if you don't have a Chilean friend or relative over there to help do this. Thank you for the update.

Fri, 05/08/2015 - 18:54



So we are in Santiago right now, I got my RUT a few days ago.

Here's my advice:

- YES, it is 100% possible to get a RUT, some people at the notaria and/or SII (tax office) will say 'not possible' but this is incorrect. They get confused/scared because the process is new and Chileans are cautious people.

- If you don't speak fluent Spanish, then bring a buddy who does, as you WILL need it to explain the new process to them!

- You will need a Chilean angel to 'sponsor' you by signing a form that takes responsibility for you if you do anything wrong (tax related). This will take some convincing, as most regular Chileans are quite cautious about signing forms like this for people unless they know them really well. If you don't have familiy or friends in Chile, then it would be wise to start networking and contacting people here and asking them if they'd help out. Otherwise you might be able to find someone to help when you arrive at the hostel. Our AirBnB host had Chilean buddies, and one of them we convinced to help us out (it helps to be Aussie ).

- The new RUT applications forms (F4415.1) are not online yet. Just go to your nearest SII office when you arrive, ask about applying for a RUT as a foriegner, and they will provide the new paperwork, vouching form and process guide to use. Fill that out, go to a notaria with your Chilean angel (they need ID card, you need your passport), get the documents and IDs approved (a few dollars fee), then go back to the SII office and they'll check it all and print out the RUT on the spot (no charge). Be prepared to be told NO and you will have to correct them. Tell them you are just applying for a RUT to 'invest' in the country.

- Ask for a password once the RUT is created so you can log in later to your SII profile and check the status of your RUT and if there's any issues.

-All up the process costs a few dollars and takes about 2-3 hours, depending on how long the wait is at the notaria and SII offices.



Wed, 08/19/2015 - 14:56 (Reply to #5)

Hi, do you think the friend

Hi, do you think the friend of your airbnb host would be keen to do it again? Did you pay them? We are arriving in a few weeks and need to find someone to sponsor us.

Mon, 10/05/2015 - 16:28

More comments on the RUT

Hi All, we went to the SII office in Providencia the other day and when I explained that I was a foreigner looking to get a RUT they gave me straight away:

1)Form 4415.1 to fill in

2) The document that the Chilean sponsor has to complete and sign

3) A list of what they needed in order to process the request.

(NB All in Spanish so you will need to be able to translate)

My point here being that they were totally across what needed to happen so no issue from that point of view.

Cheers, Adrian 

Fri, 10/23/2015 - 10:13

Troubles on the RUT

Hi All, I am an Australian on a toursit VISA. I am in Santiago at the moment and have been attempting to get RUT for a few days now.

I have the SII documents. It was really quite easy and simple to recieve as per @adrianw12's comment.

The next step in the process was a little more difficult for me - I just went to a Notary to get my passport and my Chilean Angels photocopy ID stamped. They had no problems stamping my Chilean Angels photocopy ID. I had his ID with me.

Then when it came to stamping my passport copy, they said that they needed to do every single page of the passport! Each page would have been 700CLP fee. I have never come across this before.

Has anyone had a similar pitfall in their plans to get a RUT and if so, how did you ovecome this hurdle? 

Thanks, Anton.

Sat, 10/24/2015 - 18:33

Just need the page with your

Just need the page with your passport photo ,
Maybe you can try another notary

Sat, 10/24/2015 - 20:09

Probably also need the page

Probably also need the page with the Chile entry stamp on it as well. Surely all others are irrelevant.


Is that strike of public servants in the department that finalises purchases over yet?

Sun, 12/06/2015 - 03:08

RUT when purchasing foreign car

Do we need an RUT even if the car is registered outside Chile?

Thu, 01/14/2016 - 12:04 (Reply to #11)

This thread is well and truly

This thread is well and truly out of date but regarding "Do we need an RUT even if the car is registered outside Chile?"  The answer is mostly 'no' since you are operating in a black/grey area of the law and it is probably illegal under Chilean law, just as it is in most other countries

Wed, 01/13/2016 - 11:23

Finding a sponsor

Finding a sponsor is the hard part. The person signs a document saying that they will pay all your taxes and government fines if you dont. Thats a huge responsibility. Especially if a tourist justs ups and leaves with speeding fines etc.

Opening an investment account to buy Chilean shares is easy and can be done when buying around $500. You get an investment RUT automatically with that, plus you can sell your shares at the end of your trip. That way you dont need to make some poor soul liable for your potentially unpaid taxes and fines.

Mon, 02/20/2017 - 16:05 (Reply to #13)

Investment RUT

I too am interested in this avenue if indeed it can still be done without needed someone Chilean to "vouch" for me. Can you point me in a direction to find out more information? Thanks!

Mon, 02/20/2017 - 16:07 (Reply to #14)

Investment RUT

I too am interested in the investment RUT if it indeed saves the trouble of finding a Chilean to vouch for me :) Any tips on where to find more information? Thanks :)

Sun, 02/14/2016 - 18:12

Investment RUT

Hi Range Rover Chile,

We are just about to travel to Chile to purchase a car for our trip though South America. I've been looking in to your advise to obtain a investment RUT. It seems you still need some help from Chilean people or companies. What I understand is that your stockbroker or attorney need to fulfill the paperwork.
I hope I'm wrong and the investment RUT can be obtained faster and less complicated. Did anyone tried this or can anybody shed some light on this tip.


Thu, 04/14/2016 - 10:49

"Opening an investment

"Opening an investment account to buy Chilean shares is easy and can be done when buying around $500. You get an investment RUT automatically with that, plus you can sell your shares at the end of your trip." It sounds vell, but I can't find any information. Any advice? Thanks, Igor

Mon, 08/28/2017 - 01:00

New process to get RUT in Chile?

This string is well and really obsolete yet with respect to. It is regularly "no" since you are working in a dark/hazy area of the law and it is presumably unlawful under Chilean law, similarly as it happens in many different nations.

law essays writers uk for students

Thu, 09/07/2017 - 21:53


When the player who has won the last game requires just an additional indicate win the suit, during the next play online backgammon game (called Crawford game) bets are declined. Discussed rules are enough for a casual play, just one just game; however typically the goal is to reach a particular score during numerous games (match play).

Fri, 05/04/2018 - 10:44

No matter which type of

No matter which type of academic writing you are working on. We have expert and qualified writers who are available to assist you in all type of academic assignments. For each client, we have dedicated writers available. Not only this, we provide 100% moneyback guarantee to all our customers who are not satisfied with assistance provided by our writers. So now don’t be worry about submission deadlines that are approaching. Hire our expert writers today and get most quality work within deadline provided by you. assignment writing services

Wed, 08/08/2018 - 07:18

I can sponsor your rut

Contact me via whatsapp, i am a chilean resident who can sponsor your rut +56952429634